Yes Peas! have a proven knack for elevating the humble garden pea to greatness and this easy-peasy Beef Taco recipe does just that. Created by Dominic Simpson – Yes Peas! Young Pea Chef of the Year finalist 2018 (Year 9-11 category) – this tasty treat is designed to add a bit of zing to the classic Mexican treat.
1 cup of frozen peas, defrosted | 1 onion, chopped | 1 garlic clove, crushed |1 green pepper, de-seeded and chopped | 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes and mixed herbs | 200g minced beef |1 tablespoon tomato puree |4 taco shells | 50g grated cheddar cheese | salt and pepper | 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil | 100ml cold water
1. Heat a frying pan or wok with the oil, add the onion, garlic and pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft.
2. Sprinkle on the chilli and herbs and add the minced beef. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the meat is browned.
Add the tomato puree, water and seasoning (a pinch of salt & pepper) and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 15 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed.
3. Blend the peas in a blender until they are finely chopped up.
4. Heat the taco shells as per the pack instructions.
5. Spoon the spicy meat mixture into each taco shell. Top with the peas and sprinkle on the grated cheese.
For more pea-centric cooking inspiration, head to the Yes Peas! recipe page.