When creating your outdoor living space, one of the few things that you should consider carefully is the weather. Not only can it stop you from relaxing and lounging on your patio, but it can also cause considerable damage to your outdoor area, most especially in the winter.
So for most homeowners, the main concern is how to set up an outdoor space that is not only enjoyable but can withstand the weather as well. If you’re in the same situation, here are some ways that you can do so.
- Choose a Winter-proof Deck – When building outdoor space, one of the first and most important things you’ll need to do is to build a deck. For a winter-friendly deck, you can choose water-resistant materials, such as composite decking. To retain heat from the sun, homeowners may pick darker-coloured decks, such as grey composite decking. Not only will it be comfortable, but composite decks can also last long, even when exposed to the winter weather.
- Plant Some Trees – If you think that trees only bring shade for the summer, then you’re passing up on some of its benefits for the winter. A few types of trees, particularly conifers, can withstand cold weather and protect your patio from harsh winter winds. You may need to determine where the winter wind is usually coming for to be able to use trees as effective wind buffers. You can ask the assistance of a landscape expert with regards to this. Adding a few trees can also provide added privacy to your home. Some examples of conifers are junipers, English Yews, and Scots Pines.
- Consider Installing a Roof – If adding more trees to your yard is not an option, you can also consider installing a roof over your patios. Pergolas for decks is an excellent example. If you’re not keen on building a permanent shade, you can still choose a wide range of detachable ones. Not only will it make your home comfortable and protect you from the winter, but it also acts as a great shade for the summer days. It’s a year-round benefit that’s worth considering.
- Set Up More Lighting – With winter and autumn fast approaching, so as shorter days compared to nights. Because of this, you’ll want to have enough lighting to brighten up your patio even when the night gets deep. And aside from being light sources, lighting also emits heat, which can make your outdoor space a little more comfortable during the cold season. For this purpose, you can use affordable and beautiful string lights and lanterns.
- Bring on the Heat – One of the many excellent additions for your deck is a fireplace. Not only can it serve as a beautiful piece on your outdoor space, but it can also make your patio cosier. However, not everyone has space or funding to build one. If that’s the case, you can choose a firepit instead. Nothing else tops relaxing near a fire and roasting marshmallows during the chilly days.
- Get Cozy with Blankets and Pillows – Staying warm and cosy during the winter is impossible without the right pillows and blankets. If you want to lounge in your outdoor space even during winter, consider investing in wool pillows and blankets. Thick cotton and fleece are also excellent alternatives. They can help you stay warm, and let you enjoy your backyard. They can be a little bit pricey, but they’re worth it.
- Waterproof Your Patio – All homeowners know how much damage can a harsh winter season do to outdoor spaces. Unfortunately, not everyone prepares for it the right way. If you want your patio to last as long, you’ll have to waterproof it, along with everything on it. For patio furniture, choose water-resistant materials. You can also use different water sealing sprays, for fabric, wood, and even metal. Alternatively, you can store all your furniture and decorations if the weather is too severe.
- Start a Barbecue Party – Don’t let the cold stop you from having a few friends and family over. Add a barbecue station on your patio for the next time you invite people over. Grilling during the winter adds heat, and you get to enjoy it with the people you love. That’s almost everything you’ll need to enjoy the winter.