Spiced Pear and Blue Cheese Soup from Simple Tasty Healthy by PW
It may sound a strange combination but Spiced Pear combined with blue cheese gives a warming combination. The sweetness from the pear complimented by the saltiness from the blue cheese makes for a fantastic taste explosion. The secret is not to over power the sweetness of the pear so give this a try – you will not be disappointed.
- 75g blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 x415g tinned pears
- 3 potatoes peeled rinsed and cubed
- 1 onion diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 stalk of celery chopped
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- 1 litre of vegetable/chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon of dried ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon of dried coriander
- salt and white pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of double cream
- 2 cans of pears 415g
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large pan. Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic and potatoes, add spices and mix well until evenly coated and warmed through.
- Open the canned pears. Roughly chop one can and add to rest of the ingredients including juice, mix well and add in the stock and cook on a simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
- Blend with a hand blender until smooth, then add cream, season with salt and pepper and add the juice from the second can of pears to the soup. Slice remaining pears for garnish.
- Crumble in the blue cheese and whisk through until it is dissolved. Transfer soup to heated bowls, place sliced pears on top and garnish with a sprig of parsley. Finally, drizzle with cream if required. Serve with warmed bread or croutons and enjoy.