Cottage Pie Balls with Roasted Rosemary Baby Potatoes and Green Beans, Baby Carrots peas and Gravy from Simple Tasty Healthy by PW
This different slant on Cottage Pie recipe is a real winner. It might take a little more effort but the melt in the mouth texture of these Cottage Pie balls is fantastic. Think of it as a deconstructed Cottage Pie but do this for a dinner party for friends or family and you can elevate the humble Cottage Pie to a different level.
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 carrot (diced)
- 2 sticks of celery (diced) 2 clove of garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp of tomato puree
- 1 kilo of maris piper potatoes
- 50g butter
- 500g lean minced beef
- 200g green beans (trimmed)
- 150g baby carrots
- 150g frozen peas
- 16 baby potatoes
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 litre of beef stock
- 2 tbsp of desired gravy mix
- Firstly, boil the potatoes for mashed potato as you normally would. Add the butter and season with salt and pepper.
- While the potatoes are cooking, preheat the oven to 180 and bring the baby potatoes to the boil in salted water and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place an oven proof dish in the oven along with 2 tbsp. of olive oil.
- Remove the baby potatoes from the pan and keep the water for the rest of the vegetables.
- Roast the baby potatoes for 20 minutes in the oven along with the rosemary and salt and pepper.
- Allow the mash to cool, mix together with the mince and the vegetables. (Chef tip gather a small bowl of flour and place a little on your hands). Shape the balls according to the size of your choice and fry in the remaining oil until golden brown. While cooking, add the vegetables to the stock water from the baby potatoes.
- For the gravy, bring the beef stock to the boil and add desired gravy mix stirring until you get a smooth gravy.
- Strain the vegetables and season with salt and pepper. Check the baby potatoes in the oven and mix well with the vegetables.
- Arrange on a large plate and place balls on top. Drizzle gravy over the top and around the plate and enjoy.