Roasted Pumpkin and Sweet Potato soup from Simple Tasty Healthy by PW
This pumpkin soup is incredibly healthy and rich in antioxidents. Super food, low in calories and makes for a great weight-loss friendly dish. The earthy notes of the pumpkin and sweet potato combine so well with the addition of a little turmeric and the heat from the chilli. A true Winter warmer that is so easy to make.
- 1 large onion (peeled and chopped rough)
- 1 tablespoons of turmeric
- 1 kg of pumpkin (peeled, deseeded and roughly chopped)
- 500g sweet potato (peeled, rinsed and roughly chopped)
- 1 teaspoon of dried chilli powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoons of tomato puree/paste
- 5 oz butter
- 5 oz plain flour
- 1 litre of vegetable/chicken stock
- 4 sprigs of rosemary
- 200g of parmesan cheese
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees
- Mix the pumpkin and sweet potato with a little olive oil and salt and pepper and roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
- While cooking, get a large saucepan and melt the butter. Add the spices and cook for 3—4 minutes on a medium heat. Remove from the heat and add flour and tomato paste, mixing well until a paste has been formed.
- Bring back to the heat and gradually whisk in the stock until a sauce consistency has formed. Simmer for 5 minutes, meanwhile check the pumpkin and sweet potato in the oven – they should be soft. If not, cook a little longer until soft.
- Add to the mix and stir. If still slightly firm, cook until soft and blend with a hand blender or food processor until smooth.
- Bring back to the boil season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to large bowls and add the rosemary and crumbled the cheese on top. This can be served with or without croutons – it’s a matter of taste and enjoy.