Salcura Co-founder, Claudia Talsma, gives her top tips on keeping dry and sensitive skin hydrated during the cold weather
1. Consider a humidifier during the winter months to stop the air in your home becoming too dry when you turn the heating up. Try placing a saucer of water near your radiators. Maybe even add a lovely natural oil to it, known to hydrate – like Rosehip or Lavender.
2. Turn the temperature of your shower down a couple of notches, as very hot water can strip your skin of its natural oils. Or shower a bit less! Water in the UK tends to be quite hard and there with dehydrating for the skin. And when you have showered or taken a bath, make sure to not rub your skin too harshly when drying. Dab it dry instead. Always moisturise straight after! Salcura Bioskin Dermaspray and Zeoderm offers a 2 step therapy for severely dry skin
3. Use natural skincare products to reduce your toxic load. Try instead to find products containing oils known to hydrate the skin – lavender, jojoba, aloe vera, argan, olive are all great oils for dry skin. And make sure to check if they are high up in the list of ingredients, the higher up, the more of it is in the actual product.
4. Hydrate from the inside out by drinking water or other liquids throughout the day – think of herbal teas or coconut water.
5. Ensure you are getting the right nutrients by eating a balanced diet. Investigate eating foods that contain omega oils, lots of hydrating capabilities and a wide range of vitamins and minerals to nourish the skin. Think of Avocado, Cucumber, Spinach, Lettuce and Banana.