Unlike the invisible UVA and UVB rays that are not as issue after dark, the threat from HEV light doesn’t cease when the sun sets.
Just as UVA and UVB light exposure triggers a cascade of oxidative damage on and within skin, so does blue light.
The startling difference is that blue light can penetrate farther into skin than UVA light, causing deeper damage that eventually shows up as wrinkles, rough texture and brown spots.
HEV light makes it through all three layers of the skin – the Epidermis, the Dermis and the Hypodermis. Resulting in various skin ageing complaints.
5 Tips To Protect Your Skin Against HEV Light
Use Topical Sun Protection With HEV Protection
Just because a sunscreen protects against UVA and UVB rays doesn’t mean it protects against HEV light as well. Seek out sun protection found in some skincare products on the market now.
Load Up On Antioxidants
If finding a Topical HEV protection product is proving difficult, battle oxidative stress with antioxidants
- Martina Della Vedova, Nutritionist at Natures Plus (www.naturesplus.com) recommends the antioxidant Astaxanthin.
- This is a pigment found in red algae, salmon and crustaceans like krill or animals like flamingos that use this to naturally protect themselves from harmful rays.
- This nutrient is a carotenoid and as such is an antioxidant thusly protecting us from oxidative stress.
- Natures Plus Krill oil (£ 40.75, www.naturesplus.co.uk) naturally contains 3mg of Astaxanthin in combination with optimally absorbed omega 3’s, making it a great option to protect your skin from the oxidative stress caused by HEV light.
Re-Apply Topical HEV Light Protection
– If like most people you wash your face before bed then spend hours scrolling on your device it’s wise to re-apply protection you may have put on in the day.
Use Earphones When Talking On The Phone
-As we have discussed HEV light can be damaging so having HEV light directly on your cheek is even worse.
-When talking on the phone try to use speakerphone to avoid such direct HEV light impact or if you’re in public use your headphones.
Opt For Plumping Skincare
To help support plumper skin try D’alchemy Loss Of Elasticity Skin Renewer (RRP £45.40, www.dalchemyskincare.uk)
-A breakthrough therapy combining advanced ingredients to reverse visible signs of skin ageing, the formula provides a cumulative effect of lifting up, nourishing, thickening and firming of the skin, leaving it elastic and toned.
-It fills up, smoothens and reduces the depth of wrinkles, eliminates fine lines and unevenness, and neutralizes free radicals responsible for skin ageing.
-This product provides optimum hydration from within, protecting the epidermis against moisture loss and reducing the unpleasant feeling of tight skin. The skin is left perfectly smooth, elastic and firm, filled with vitality and youthful energy. Especially recommended for dry and sensitive skin.
Try and get quality sleep as the regenerative process your skin takes on whilst you’re asleep is the most effective.
- Stress and sleep are closely related, if we do not get enough sleep we find it harder to function and when we are stressed we find it harder to get to sleep. If you’re a late night thinker it can be extremely difficult to break this cycle.
- A 2015 analysis of previous studies concluded that CBD oil is a promising treatment for numerous forms of anxiety, including social anxiety disorder, panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder[v]
To help say goodnight to your anxieties try dispensing a controlled amount of the CannabiGold classic 500MG CBD oil (£29.90, www.planetorganic.com) directly under your tongue. This oil is the perfect strength if you are new to the CBD world. It has a mild, palatable taste and contains a full spectrum of cannabinoids and terpenes.
Martina Della Vedova – Nutritionist at Natures Plus