How a West Yorkshire Writer Beat the Norovirus
Jill Flavell, 41, is mother to twins Charlotte and Martha, three and works as a writer in West Yorkshire. Jill says: “When our whole family came down with the Norovirus – also known as the winter vomiting bug – earlier this year, it was dreadful. My three-year-old daughters got it first and spent an entire day throwing up on most surfaces in the house. My washing machine never stopped. I got it two days later and lay motionless on my bed for around 8 hours, only moving to crawl across the bedroom floor and vomit in the bathroom. My husband Robin escaped lightly with only a few hours of sickness.
It was after this episode that someone told me about Enterosgel. I read up about it – because I’m always cautious about giving my children any unnecessary ‘medicine’ and was happy that it was absolutely safe for them to take. I diluted it in some weak juice because they can be fussy about new flavours but as the gel is tasteless, they had no idea. I gave it to them daily for about a fortnight afterwards.
They were over the stomach bug in a matter of days and their appetites were back quickly. But a surprising side-effect occurred. Both my twins have suffered from mild eczema since the age of about 6 months and over that two weeks, Martha’s disappeared completely. She hasn’t had it since. At first I didn’t put two and two together and thought she had simply grown out of it, especially as Charlotte does still suffer from it occasionally. But there may well be a link between the Enterosgel and her clear skin. I’ve now got another tube in my first aid cabinet next time a stomach bug or illness strikes.”
About 12 to 48 hours after becoming infected with norovirus, sufferers can experience sudden nausea and then diarrhoea and projectile vomiting. This can also be accompanied by a headache, fever and aching limbs. Most will recover in about one or two days, but the very old and very young are at risk of becoming dehydrated and could need hospital treatment.
Norovirus is contagious and easily transmitted from person to person via personal contact with an infected person, eating contaminated food or drink, or touching contaminated objects or surfaces.
If you’re looking to prevent contracting the Norovirus, here are some handy tips:
• Avoid sharing towels or flannels.
• Don’t eat raw, unwashed produce.
• Avoid sharing food or eating and drinking utensils with someone else.
• Use an intestinal adsorbent gel such as ENTEROSGEL® taken with water, on a daily basis – to keep the gut cleansed of toxins.
What to do to help when you are suffering with the norovirus:
• Wash your hands carefully with soap and water, especially after going to the toilet or changing a nappy and before eating or preparing food.
• Do not prepare food while infected for at least two days after you recover from the norovirus.
• Clean and disinfect contaminated surfaces using a bleach-based household cleaner.
• Wash soiled items with detergent at the maximum available cycle length and highest temperature and then machine dry.
• Make sure you wear rubber or disposable gloves while handling soiled clothing or linens and wash your hands after handling.
• Use an intestinal adsorbent gel such as ENTEROSGEL® to help stop the progression of the virus.
Enterosgel retails at £19.50 for a 225g tube and is available from Boots, LloydsPharmacy, Day Lewis Pharmacy, Holland & Barrett, Well pharmacies, John Bell & Croyden and independent chemists, pharmacies and health stores nationwide.
Enterosgel® is registered as a class IIA medical device, patent of Swiss company Bioline AG.