The perfectly gooey grilled cheese sandwich by Paul Conboy @fatfoodclub
You can add chopped red or spring onion to the cheese mix. Experimenting with cheeses is a great idea. Overall, my advice is to keep this simple and follow the steps carefully.
Makes 1 perfectly gooey cheese sandwich. I am using the amazing Yorkshire Creamery
- 2 slices of thick cut white bread buttered both sides
- 30g of Yorkshire Creamery Red Leicester
- 30g of Yorkshire Creamery Extra Strong Mature
- A few splashes of Worcestershire sauce
- Sliced ham like a smoked Brunswick (optional)
- Take a wide heavy based pan and place over a medium to high heat. Meanwhile, grate and mix both the red Leicester and extra strong and mature cheese.
- Take the buttered bread and add a slice of the Brunswick ham if you are using. Then pile high and to the edge with the mixed grated cheese. Add a little seasoning and a few splashes of the Worcestershire sauce. Place the remaining slice of bread on top and squish down lightly.
- Carefully place the cheese sandwich in the pan. If you have any leftover grated cheese sprinkle this over the sandwich.
- Take a smaller heavy based pan or heavy weight and sit on top of the sandwich as the other side toasts. You may choose to use greaseproof paper between the sandwich and second pan or weight.
- After a minute, turn the sandwich over and sprinkle over and remaining cheese and toast the final side.
- Once browned nicely, serve up and enjoy!
@the yorkshirecreamery – Take a stand against bland. They don’t do dull. They make cheese that smack your taste buds and win awards. Available online and in major supermarkets www.yorkshirecreamery.co.uk