Creamy mushroom and chicken pasta by Paul @fatfoodclub
This is an excellent recipe. The trick here is to use lots of butter (guilty!) to fry the chicken before essentially poaching and steaming the chicken to finish the cook. The sauces should be reduced to thicken and intensify the flavours.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 heaped tbsp of butter
- 250g of sliced chestnut mushrooms
- 1 medium finely diced onion
- 1 glass of good quality white wine
- 1 finely diced garlic clove
- 300ml of good quality chicken stick
- 100ml of double cream
- 200g pasta – tagliatelle is a good one here
- 1 heaped tbsp Parsley
- Grated parmesan to serve
- Seasoning – I have used Maldon sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Take a heavy based pan and place over a high heat. Melt the butter and season the pan a little. Brown the chicken until golden. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. The chicken won’t be cooked all the way through at this point.
- Lower the heat and add the onion followed by the sliced mushrooms.
- Sweat the onion and mushrooms down scraping the base of the ban to avoid anything sticking. Add in a little more butter if you feel the pan needs this.
- Once the onion and mushrooms have softened and are golden add in the garlic. Cook for a few minutes before pouring in the wine. Turn up the heat and reduce the wine by half.
- Add the chicken back into the pan followed by the chicken stock and then cream. The liquid in the pan may not completely cover the chicken but this is fine.
- Bring everything to a gentle simmer before placing the lid on the pan. The chicken will poach and steam in the sauce. This will take 20-25 minutes. Check on this occasionally. If it looks like there is not enough sauce or things are a bit dry then add a little hot water.
- In the meantime, cook the pasta reserving some of the pasta water.
- Take the lid off the pan with the chicken and reduce the sauce down until thickened. Season to taste at this point. Take out the chicken for a final time and stir the sauce into the pasta with a splash of the pasta water. Stir in the chopped parsley. Serve up the pasta into bowls. Slice the chicken and serve on top of the pasta. Sprinkle over a little parmesan.