Chicken, cannellini, sweet potato by Paul Conboy @fatfoodclub for HN Magazine
As the seasons change so does the food. And this is always my favourite time of year for food. The late summer months mean autumn is almost here and with that the root vegetables start to make their way into the pot and onto the plate. To celebrate the season of autumnal flavour I have knocked up a delicious chicken, cannellini and sweet potato one pot.
- 3 Echalion shallots finely diced
- 3 chicken legs
- 1tbl spoon of honey
- 200g of roughly chopped sweet potato
- 400g can of cannellini beans
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 4 sprigs of Thyme
- 500ml of chicken stock
- Start by turning up the oven to 160 degrees.
- In the meantime, take a cast iron pot with a lid and drizzle in a tablespoon of olive oil. Take the pan to the stove and turn up to a moderate heat.
- Add the diced shallot and stick on the lid. Sweat for 10-15 minutes keeping an eye on the shallot so it doesn’t catch. Add a little water if necessary.
- Once the shallot is softened turn up the heat and brown the skin of the chicken on both sides. This should take 2-3 minutes. Drizzle the honey over the chicken.
- Once the chicken is nicely browned all over add the roughly chopped sweet potato and stir for a minute or so.
- Add the garlic, cannellini beans and thyme before pouring in the hot chicken stock. Season well.
- Bring to a boil, put the lid back on and place into the oven for 2-3 hours. Check occasionally. If things look a little dry add in more stock.
- Serve up with crusty bread and a glass of chilled white wine.
For more delicious recipes from Paul @FatFoodClub