Chicken Saltimbocca: Chicken with Proscuitto and Fresh Sage from @coxys_kitchen
Chicken Saltimbocca, meaning “jumps into the mouth” is a classic Italian dish, traditionally made using veal. This easy dish is perfect for when you have to feed the masses, or served as a relaxed dinner with a few friends. If chicken isn’t your thing, then this versatile dish can also be made using meaty fish such as sea bass or cod. The simplicity of flavours means that Chicken Saltimbocca can easily be served with a side of pasta, rice or even potatoes – it certainly isn’t hard to understand why it got this name.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time 15 minutes
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, halved lengthways to create 8
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 slices of proscuitto or parma ham
- 16 fresh sage leaves
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- A large glass of white wine or marsala
- Lay a sheet of baking paper over a large chopping board, then lay out each of the chicken fillets and cover with another sheet of baking paper. Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, pound each fillet until they are approx. 1cm thick, then season with salt and black pepper. Go easy on the salt, as the ham is already salty
- Lay one slice of prosciutto or parma ham over each chicken fillet. Top each one with two sage leaves, then secure the ham and sage with a cocktail stick
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil over a medium heat, then cook the chicken for approx. 2-3 minutes on each side, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken and place onto a warmed serving plate
- Using the same pan, turn the heat to high and add the wine. Cook for 1 minute until all the alcohol has burned off
- Drizzle the wine juices over the chicken and serve with roasted fennel or a crisp green salad
Coxy’s Kitchen Tip…
Try saltimbocca served with a side of pasta pomodoro (Italian tomato sauce), risotto Milanese (risotto with saffron), or crispy parmentier potatoes.
About Coxy’s Kitchen
Coxy’s Kitchen provides a dinner party and private dining service throughout Yorkshire.
If you want to host a dinner party but don’t fancy the cooking, then contact Coxy’s Kitchen to cook for your dinner party. To make an enquiry or for an initial consultation, please email email@example.com